With the Data collector, you can collect data in iPresso based on the actions of contacts on the monitored page. Such detailed data will certainly help you to better segment the target groups to which you direct your communication.
How does it work?
The user performs an action on site that triggers the transfer of information to iPresso.
User actions that trigger data transfer are:
- once a contact clicks on an element - once a contact clicks on an element (e.g. a button on a page) that leads to an action
when changing the form value - the form defined on the page (<form> </form>) has various fields to fill in or select (<input> , <textarea>, <select>, etc). It is possible to trigger an action just by changing the value of one of the fields. This is not a recommended solution because when filling out the questionnaire, the values may change smoothly (especially in fields that are filled out by typing). In case of <select> or <radioButtons> fields, the change happens once, so this solution may be justified
- once saving the form - when the form element <input type="submit"> is clicked and the filling is confirmed. Recommended in case of saving or updating the contact
- after specified time since the page is loaded - after the contact stays on the page for some time, the rule is activated
Data that can be saved in iPresso:
- activity record: recording of a previously defined activity on a contact
- save activity: saving the activity as described above
- save data to viewer memory: this allows to keep data in the viewer memory. It can be used for example for merging different Data Collector rules (it is also possible to retrieve data from the viewer memory: see paragraph Action to run)
- collecting the webpush token: one of the ways of custom collecting the webpush token (no additional action configuration is needed)
- contact update: update the attributes of a contact that has been identified (e.g. first name, last name, email, or any attributes)
- saving a contact: creating a contact with specified attributes, i.e. in practice turning an anonymous user into a monitored one
Example: there is a CHECK DETAILS button on the page. In addition to the standard
action, the "click on details" activity will receive the "click on details" activity.
This activity will be saved in the contact manager. In the case of monitored contacts,
the activity will be visible on the contact's card.
How do I start automatic data collection?
When you open the tool, you will see several sections to fill in.
Enter a description that will allow you to easily identify the rule in iPresso:
In this step, you select the page and possible subpages for which the rule should work:
Select the type of contacts for which the rule will be active. You can select all, monitored and anonymous:
Now select the event that you want to trigger the action to send data to iPresso:
Select the action type and the selector id or class. An example where you can see the button on the left and the selector ID highlighted on the right can be found below:
Here, you can select the action that will be saved in iPresso:
If an activity or save action is selected, an additional field will appear for you to fill in.
Select the "From list" option. A list of activities saved in iPresso will appear. If there are parameters defined for the activity, you can select the parameter values you want to save in the activity from the drop-down list:
If you want to use the "Update contact" option, in the "For whom" to run the rule step, select "Monitored only". Define the attributes that you want to change with the selected action:
If you want to use the "Save Contact" option, in the "For whom" to run the rule step, select "Anonymous only". Define the attributes of the new contact that you want to save with the selected action:
You can store data in the browser's memory; choose localStorage or sessionStorage. This way, you can aggregate more data that you later send to iPresso as one activity through a separate rule in the Data collector:
The last option is to collect a web push token. This is an interesting alternative to the traditional method
After filling in all the fields, you can validate your rule by clicking "Save". A list of rules will appear where you will notice the rule you created. Click "Activate":
Once confirmed, your rule will take effect.
The process described above is a basic, simple setup for automatic data collection. Depending on the action selected to run, the source of the activity may be different than the list:
The above values from your site can also be a source of data. As this is an option that requires individual iPresso configuration and in most cases changes on your site, you need to plan and coordinate this process. Please contact your Account Manager about this.