What is a data set?
The main purpose of creating data sets is to select a group of elements to be used in e.g. dynamic email, SMS, mobile push or web push campaigns. A data set is a specific set of products (e.g. food, fruit, vegetables) selected from a particular feed. This set can be created on the basis of previously set criteria (e.g. country of origin, price, expiration date of the product) based on the particular feed.
In order to create a data set go to Feed Manager > Data Sets > Add
Data set settings
While creating a data set you need to assign its name and a key:
- Name - unique within a particular feed (it can be used in a different data set)
- Key - unique within a particular feed and within an API key standard (the API definition is available in our dictionary)
In the next step, you set the criteria against which the products will be placed in the data set and the number of products included. The maximum number of products that can go into one data set is 100.
There are three options available for selecting criteria: By feature, Advanced, Randomly.
The By feature option refers to one specific feature of the feed you created (e.g., by price of a particular product).
The Advanced option allows you to specify and narrow the data by selecting the appropriate condition from the drop-down list and to specify the value you are interested in. You can also combine conditions by using conjunction or logical alternatives.
- For example: we have created a feed in which we have collected all the fruits from our offer. We are interested in separating the fruits that come from Spain or their price ranges from 5 PLN to 10 PLN and their expiration date is seven days.
The Random option can be used when you want to generate random products included in the feed
Once you have set the criteria for products to enter the data set, it remains to determine against which feature and in what order the data should be displayed through the sorting settings. In the final step you can set a limit of products that can be put into the data set. If there is no given amount in the feed, all possible results will be added.
- For example: if you set the number of products to 10, but only 8 products in our feed meet the criteria, we will only get 8 search results in the data set.
After filling the required fields and clicking the Save button, the data set will be generated by the iPresso system.There are two statuses that may appear:
- In preparation of creation status means that the data set is in the process of being recalculated. The creation process may take longer as the number of products to be included in the data set increases.
- The Ready status means that you are able to freely add the data set to your mailing creations.
Once you click on the Products field, you will see a list of all the products that met the criteria and are included in the new data set (in the case of the above criteria, only two products are included in the data set):
The data set is updated automatically every time changes are made in the feed on which the data set was created.
After entering the edit field, you will go to the same view as during the creation with the difference that you can only edit two fields: Name and Number of products.
When you click on the example of use field, you will see how to use a particular data set in any campaign. The HTML code refers to email creations, whereas Text should be used in case of SMS, web push or mobile push campaigns (jump to article about using data sets).
If a data set used during shipments is deleted, it will stop all processes in shipments. The deletion is irreversible.